Friday, February 28, 2014

Couchsurfing, Korean style ;)

I've been a part of the Couchsurfing community (www.couchsurfing.org) since the second half of 2012 and met new friends through the site here in Manila. It's a very enjoyable experience to meet people who are interested in travelling as much as I am, to hear their stories and tell mine as well. And so last year, I decided to take things to a whole other level by seeking couchsurfing experiences abroad!

My first step into fulfilling this goal was taken in Singapore, when I was able to get in touch with CSer Alexander. He was kind enough to pick me and my family up from the airport and take us around for the evening. He's been to the Philippines several times and so he knows a thing or two about my country, which made for an interesting conversation.

Taking the couchsurfing thing even further I explored the possibility of actually surfing someone else's couch and this came to fruition in Busan, South Korea. At first I was a bit apprehensive about couchsurfing but I wasn't doing it alone and I thought it would be best to start as soon as I can before I lose the courage to do it.

Anne was a very kind and gracious host to me and my friend Mark but time constraints kept us from getting to know her a lot better. Her apartment was comfy as she was accomodating. She seemed like a very independent, interesting, and friendly person, and she even vouched for me on Couchsurfing! If that first experience is an indicator of how the future ones will go then I'm in for a ride.
___________________View from Anne's homey flat


Months before the Korea trip I had already gotten in touch with Bangg, a Korean whom I found on the site. He was a relatively new member and didn't have a single reference to back him up but my instinct told me to give him a shot. We communicated through the mobile app Kakao talk and decided to meet up at Myeongdeong one afternoon in Seoul. The language barrier was certainly not a hindrance to us having a great time.

___________________My name in Korean

__________________It seems this is how they feel about learning English. :D

Fortunately my couchsurfing experiences on foreign soil have turned out to be fantastic. Cheers to new places, experiences, and friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment